Our "forever home"

Our "forever home"

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Adoption day!
























Well, "the" day finally came on 7/28/11. It really couldn't have gone more perfectly. Well, I take that back. It would have been perfect had we not gone to the wrong courthouse first and then barely made to it the juvenile courts only 2 minutes before our preceding. But other than that, it was awesome! “O” did really well. She sat on Blaine's lap during the hearing (which lasted all of 8 minutes) and when I started crying (early on) she looked at me and said, "why you have water in your eyes?" and then moved over to sit and comfort me. I whispered to her that sometimes when people are really happy, that they cry. And, I was really happy so I was crying. She was intrigued by the judge, who we had talked about for a while. We had prepared her for the day by calling it "Adoption day", using the date "July 28", and that we would see the "judge who would give us a special paper and say that “O” wouldn't go and live with anyone else ever again. That she'd be with us FOREVER". After the hearing, she said, "I didn't hear the judge say it!". I explained that he did, but in very 'adult' terms.


We had a full house supporting us, it was great. My parents, my sister/bro-in-law and their kids, Blaine's parents, grandparents, “O”'s maternal grandparents (who have been so supportive through all of this and have been waiting anxiously for this day to happen), and our case worker. We were walking out of the courthouse by 9:15 (it started at 9:00) and took more pictures. Then some of us headed over to Bruegger's bagels for breakfast, and then off to the fun stuff - Jumpstreet. A bouncy gym that has trampoline floors/walls and 4 big bounce houses. The kids (and adults) had a great time! Then home for lunch, quiet time, and an afternoon of swimming,cake, and presents. “O” did really well all day.


The next day we all drove out to California forthe weekend and took little family (the 3 of us) and big family pictures (parents, cousins, etc). I have attached a sneak peak of the little family pics! By hour #2, “O” was a bit tired of smiling and posing, but she was a real trooper.


Blaine and I have definitely noticed that “O” has a sense of peace and security that wasn't there in the beginning. She is much more settled and her (big) personality is coming out!


I feel like all of these months and updates have been building up to this day and further updates would be superfluous. However, this is sort of how I have been keeping track of our journey and so, like it or not, I'll keep sending them out!



-joni

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you choose "anonymous", leave your initials so I know who you are!